Monday, July 04, 2005

Around Ho Chi Minh City

We went to the Ben Thanh market in Downtown Saigon to try our hand at bargaining with the vendors. I cut a very good deal with a vendor on three statues so that Charles and I could get a cheaper price overall. I got a nice Happy Buda statue for about 2 bucks. The vendors are constantly grabbing at you "Can I help you sir?! Look here sir!" Charles found it a little overwhelming, as I did the last time I was in Vietnam.

Following the market we walked four blocks to the Mangrove Tailor Shop that made my suites two years ago. On the way to the tailor saw a beautiful eggshell painting that I really wanted. The price started at 50 US and I got it down to 20 US Dollars. That’s the best thing about Vietnam is that in most places there aren't set prices for items. It was an extremely good deal.

The Mangrove Tailor shop was very nice to us, especially when I told them I had been there before to get suites. They took our measurements and said our suites would be ready on Monday at 4PM. It started pouring down rain so we hung out at the tailor for a little bit. We decided that it probably wasn't going to let up so we grabbed a taxi to take us to the DVD shops. It is the rainy season here in Vietnam from April till November; it rains pretty much every afternoon.

Next we went to the DVD store where I purchased nearly 50 DVDs. I know it probably sounds expensive, but here they are only 1 US dollar apiece.

Two years ago when I came to Vietnam I met Thi, a professor from the Agriculture and Forestry College in Ho Chi Minh City. I contacted her prior to coming to Vietnam so that we could meet up and possibly tour the campus, however the National Entrance Exam, similar to the US SAT, was being conducted and no visitors where allowed on Campus. Since we couldn't visit campus we decided to meet up for dinner and coffee. We had a good time catching up and remembering the trip two years ago.

We then returned to Hong's house where we watched Catch Me If you can on HBO with the family. We had a milk drink with Jack Fruit, Longons, and Jelly. I learned my lesson on drinking milk here! I defiantly was on the toilet alot the next morning, however it wasn't too long before I had it under control.

2 Comments:

At Tue Jul 05, 02:51:00 AM GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brandon, just wanted to tell you happy 4th of July. I hope everything is going well with you.

Love you,

Mom and Dad

 
At Tue Jul 05, 06:05:00 AM GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 4th of July!!! It sounds like you're having an adventure of a lifetime!! Send us some of that rain, okay? Take Care.
Cindy & Leon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home