Thursday, July 07, 2005

The Last Day in Vietnam

The next day we slept in and hung out at the house. We went to another market that was several stories tall. The basement sold food, first floor sold fabric and shoes, second floor sold clothing, and the third sold decorations. I purchased a large bag of jack fruit chips to bring to Singapore with me. They are really tasty.We then went to inspect the house that was being built by Hong's Parents. I actually got to pick the roof top color. I hope I choose correctly. I'll get to see it next time I come to Vietnam.

We then went back to finish packing up all the gifts given to me by the family and rest some before going to dinner. We went to eat more Chinese food near downtown. We then went back to say my good byes to the family. His grandmother told me she thought of me as one of her own grandchildren and hoped that Hong, Charles, and I remained friends throughout the years.

Saying good bye to his uncle, he presented me with a Geneva Pocket watch with chain to remember him by. This uncle was one that served as a South Vietnamese general during the war. The South Vietnamese where on the American side during the war. I took pictures with all the aunts and uncles and then went to move my luggage from the guest house to the family house so we could leave from there early the next morning.

We then went to eat Ice Cream with Nam in downtown Saigon. It was one last ride on the back of the moped through the heavy traffic. I forgot to tell you how traffic is here! You seriously don't ever stop you just slow down and make your way across the street when you want to cross. It amazingly works and I only saw one wreck the entire trip.

I had some awesome coconut icecream in a coconut shell. We then went to get coffee at the Trung Nguyen Coffee shop for one last cup of joe before before returning home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home