Friday, July 22, 2005

Aru the Prata King

The last two days I have been working with Aru who has been teaching me to make Indian Cuisine. Dhal, Mutton and Chicken Curry, mutton and Chicken Keema, and Prata have been dishes I have learned to make. Basically all the dishes besides Prata are made in the same way.

The base sauce is made with Oil, Curry Spices (Cinnamon and other various seeds), 3 onions, 6 chills,crushed garlic, crushed lemon grass, and crushed ginger. These are sated in a wok. Then curry gravy mix , pureed walnuts, and red food coloring is added. The final stage is to add your desired meat. Keemas are just ground chicken or mutton.

Aru has been wonderful teaching me and letting me cook the curry sauces. I even had a chance to learn how to roll out dough for the prata. It is very difficult process and must be done correctly. I also learned to make whole wheat....... These dishes have all been delicious.

Dhal is a lentinel based vegetable stew with egg plants, carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, chills, and a few others. This is probably my favorite dish so far.

Aru has really taught me alot ! He has been the most open about teaching me how to cook and about the Indian food suppliers. Aru has a family of 5 children with varying ages from 1 to 19.

1 Comments:

At Sat Jul 23, 01:43:00 AM GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brandon, I have enjoyed your pictures and stories, Please keep them coming. I am Sam's Grandmother so please tell him hello for me.

Genny (Me-Maw)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home