Sunday, February 26, 2006

God Bless the Aggie Network!

As an Aggie, we always here a strong emphasis on the Aggie Network! Well I have found out that it is extended and very strong here in Beijing. I came across a contact for a Class o '89 grad who is the CEO of a company called I.T. United, a company who specializes in data processing outsourcing. I contacted Cyrill who invited me to the Swiss Chamber of Commerce Annual Raccllete Evening. I said I would love to come, not really knowing what to expect, so I made my way down to the China World Hotel that is in the central business district of Beijing. It was a beautiful hotel.

Well to come to find out Cyrill was the main person leading the event because of his dedication to Switzer. I was seated at the head table of the event with the Ambassador of Jordan, CEO's of many other countries, the Swiss Chairman of the Chamber of Commerce, and many more amazing people. We had an amazing time eating the Raccllete Cheese that is served melted with many other spices. It was great. Included in the buffet where great bratwurst, veal, and many other Swiss dishes. It was a great evening with high class wine, Cuban cigars, and good laughs.

At the event the Swiss long horn, I think called the alpon was played and they even had a contest to see who could play I the best! Cyrill visited with me and got to know me and introduced me to several amazing people and said that he would invited me out to several other places so that I could meet even more important people.

Following the festivities Cyrill said the night was not over as he invited me to go to The pavilion Bar. This was a high upscale place where many expats visited and watched the rugby game between France and Italy. The small group attending the bar where from China, Singapore, Vietnam, USA, Swizterland, and France. It was such an amazing time that I am not doing justice in the words I write.

At the bar I felt at home as Cyrill and I sung the war hymn, spun our rings in the classic impressive way we Aggies know how to do, and did Texas Yee Haws! Cyrill was class of 1989 and part of B-2 Company! It was great getting to know him and meeting so many new people. I truly felt like I was living in the lap of luxury.

I also purchased a bike the other day. Its just a one gear silver bike with even a basket to carry things. I bought it for 85 Yuan or about 10 US dollars. I bought it used because bike theft is quite common here in Beijing. I also bought a few locks to lock it up at night so that it wont be stolen. The bike will be quiet useful to shorten my trips to and from the house to school.

Today we met our Language Exchange Partners that we will work on our Chinese with and get to spend time exploring the city. We all went to KTV near my home and enjoyed 2 hours of Karokee. It was quiet entertaining signing both Chinese and American Songs!

Things are going quiet well here in Beijing! The world link students are quiet a good group and we all get along really well! We start classes on Tuesday so it will be good to start to increase my vocabulary each day!

Take care and hope to hear from ya'll soon! God Bless!

1 Comments:

At Tue Feb 28, 05:11:00 AM GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heath got your post card and was sooo excited about it. Thanks for sending it to him! We're gonna try to get something back to you. Take care and keep us informed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home